Sunday, May 31, 2009

Bringing Chica Home!

On Saturday we brought home Chica, our very first bird! She is a Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conour. We have been watching her grow from the tinest baby online from a family in Waddle Arizona who breed birds. She has been hand fed and is very docile. My kids absolutely adore her.

I have been so nurvous about getting this bird and Dave and I have had second thoughts and wondered if we are doing the right thing with such a busy little family and with Gavin being just one (almost). I think I even lost some sleep over this bird the night before we brought her home. She is suppose to eat a fresh "mash" of food everyday with seeds and pellets as a suplement. I have been so stressed about her diet, but am feeling better about it already. I am learning to grow little sprouts from beans and seeds and am learning all the foods this bird can and can't have. I think it seemed even more complicated than having a baby at first.

But now she is here. We named her "Chica" meaning chic in spanish. She loves being with us and doesn't get put down much. I really don't think the kids will get sick of her, especially Arden. Although I was worried Alexis and Spencer would be scared of her, they are not and want to hold her just as much as Arden does, which is a really good thing, since this is a "family" pet and well part of our family now. Green Cheeks can live for 20 to 30 years, so this was a very big decision, one we have been talking about for two year now.

So welcome home Chica!

This is Arden with Chica on her shoulder both sleeping in peace. I took this picture in the back seat of our van on the way home just after we picked her up down in the Pheonix area. This was so cute, she even fell asleep on Dave's shoulder while he was driving.


Arden will love this bird so much. She will never want to put it down, and I will use this as leverage to my advantage.

In the back yard, getting some fresh air. Chica picks at her flight suit as she is still not excited about wearing it. Hopefully she won't mind so much when she realizes that she gets to go outside if she has it on.

Chica really likes Spencer's skinny shoulder, it must be kinda like being a on branch! Spencer is great with her and loves her, can you see the happy look on his face. He is proud to be a bird owner.


I love this kinda smile, it means something is right, something is good and my boy is happy.


Alexis just likes to relax with the bird. She also likes to offer food to Chica while she holds her. And she loves to snuggle and pet her.


On the tampoline!

They all like to talk to Chica and sing to her. Arden even had her perched on the piano while she gave Chica the most amazing and happy piano lesson ever, while Chica sat there patiently on the piano and listened until Arden was done.

6 comments:

Stevens Family said...

what fun. Probably one of Jacks sisters! Love those little birds.

Kristen said...

What a beautiful bird! It's "chica" too by the way. =)

Natalie said...

You guys are so good! 20-30 yrs, that is a serious commitment! James is excited to see him and now begging me for one. Sorry James~he'll just have to see yours!
Beautiful Pics!

photomom said...

Di,
All the pics and story of Chica are enchanting! What fun. There's just something special about a family pet. :)

diane lott said...

thanks for correcting me kristen, i'm such a loser when it comes to spelling. you should bring your boys over and come see her, she is really sweet!

Kristen said...

No problem, it's like having a bra strap showing, I'd hope someone would tell me! =) We'd love to come see her! I'll call you today.