Thursday, March 24, 2011

Never Give Up


Every spring I look forward to the tulips breaking ground and every year I am always amazed at the strength and determination of these pretty creations. After the tornado last October we had to remove some fallen trees, one of which was near where the tulips break ground each spring. There was a circular pile of rocks around the tree we had to move also. We just ended up piling the rocks on top of where the tulips would come up. When the tulips started breaking ground I told the kids we needed to move this pile of rocks so the tulips could come up. Days passed and we forgot to move the rocks. Yesterday, Spencer came running in the house shouting, "Mom, Mom, look at the tulips!" Now, I can see the green leaves from my front window, where they have come up through the rocks. I am so impressed with them. I told Dave to come see them and he said casually, "Oh ya, those things are tuff, they will bloom anywhere." And they do. I see them servive the snow every spring after it warms up and they break ground and then they always get slammed with a few snowstorms before it's time to bloom, even then the snow doesn't seem to bother them. I guess I was just thinking metaphorically so to speak that women are so much like tulips; beautiful, graceful yet determined and tuff. I think I might have needed something to inspire me and it just happened to be rignt outside my front door.

2 comments:

CJ said...

That is so beautiful, Di! Both your metaphor and your tulips, especially after your tornado. I am inspired!

sarah said...

Di,

Thanks for this beautiful and thought-provoking post; I think this was just the message I needed today. Mark and I hope you guys are doing well and hope we get to see you this summer!

Sarah