Thursday, February 4, 2010

Chica update

We brought Chica home from the vet and she is doing really good. At first Arden hand fed her, but now she is eating and drinking on her own. She is a doesn't seem to twitch as much and her neck looks a lot better. She might still be dizzy or is having a hard time with her sight because sometime she misses her food and turns circles looking for it. Her left eye still looks really sketchy, like she might be blind in that eye. I am getting some eye drops from the vet today, but they will only help them to not get infected. We have to keep her warm so when she is not eating of drinking I just put her inbetween my shirt and sweater and she snuggles up. She hasn't flown but has gone up the later in her cage and climbed the walls of her cage, that is a really good thing. At first I didn't care if she ever flew again, but now I do, I think that is a right of passage for a bird. She spends most of her time on top of her cage and can fly to us whenever she wants, I hope things can be like that again for her. Arden has been amazing with her totally taking care of her yesterday handfeeding her and all. It is really sweet to see Arden love her so much and care for her. The other kids want to hold her and coo over her but they don't really want to take care of her like Arden does. Hopefully in a couple weeks her eyes will be back to normal, if not Chica will be our little one eye pirate.

2 comments:

A day in the life of the Campbell's said...

I have been thinking of you all a lot and hope Chica makes a speedy recovery. So sorry that happened but it will be a great learning experience for the kids. It shows Arden's maturity how she is caring for her.

diane lott said...

I know, it has been really hard for Arden, she has learned a lot and I am a more compassionate Mother because by watching Arden take such good care of Chica.